Saturday 8 February 2020

A Bit of Wildlife

Today the temperature was forecast to reach 45 degC.  We had to change cabins this morning which involved being out between 10 and 12 but after we’d settled into the new one – much nicer, very modern – we decided that having travelled to the other side of the world, we really couldn’t “waste” time sitting around in the air conditioned chalet so we headed off around 13:30 to visit Serendip Sanctuary, a wildlife reserve about 30 mins drive away.  Again, the place was practically deserted with only two other cars in the car park – mind you it was exceedingly hot.


There were loads of noisy Sulphur crested cockatoos around.  I think their crests look like a Trump comb-over.




I spent ages trying to get this blue tongued lizard through wire, never got a decent shot but you can just about see a bit of blue tongue.



Although it was described as a reserve it was more like Howletts as some things were in enclosures, albeit large.  Typically the animals preferred to hug the fenceline!


Emu – even the males are rather plain and boring, whereas their African relations (Ostrich) are so colourful.




Brolga (crane which apparently does an amazing courtship dance).



White Faced Heron with ruffled feathers



There was a netted enclosure with a few colourful birds which I spent an age trying to capture.  Not sure if these are male and female rosellas or something else.



Blue Faced Honey Eater (and a real bully to the other birds).



Along with this Tawny Frogmouth owl.


  
A comical bunch of wallabies, they remind me of meerkat the way the sit up and stare.


  

It was very, very hot and unfortunately I began to feel quite unwell; my limbs felt like lead and I could barely hold my head up, then I got double vision and we had to quickly head for the car.  The only way to cool myself was poor water down the back of my neck. I’m assuming it was heat related as after 15 mins in the cool car I began to feel better.